"What do you do?"
You’re likely asked this long-standing question at networking events, your kids’ activities and family gatherings.
And at some point, you’ve probably responded by saying something like, “I sell roofs/bathtubs/windows/ plumbing services/ siding/ countertops/ etc.”
Because this is the way you were taught to think in the Industrial Economy or the Commodity Economy. Which is, you must produce or sell X, Y or Z product or service.
But today, however, we are living in the Experience Economy.
This is because today’s consumer is different. With the world literally at their fingertips, they have endless options to fulfill their wants and needs. So why should they choose your business?
The Role of the Customer Experience in Today’s World
Today, the process goes as follows:
- Mr. and Mrs. Homeowner recognize they have a need in their home.
- They go online to search for a company in their area that can fulfill that need.
- They scour through the online reviews to pick the company that looks like it will complete the job in a way that leaves them happy with the decision they made.
- They contact the chosen provider.
This means that online reviews are the lifeblood of your business today. They are the one factor that will help you stand out among your competitors more than anything else.
And what are your customers going to write about in these reviews? Their experience, of course. So, your customer experience HAS to stand out from all of your competitors. It has to “WOW” every customer you come in contact with so that they become your raving fans, telling everyone online about why they should choose to do business with you.
Beyond that, your customers are also going to be more likely to come back to you with repeat business AND tell their friends, family, neighbors and co-workers about doing business with you if you give them something awesome to talk about - a knock-your-socks-off type of experience.
Improving Customer Experience for Homeowners
Now that you know how critical the customer experience for homeowners is to growing your leads, sales and profits - how do you boost your game?
My first suggestion would be to play customer. And truly, not enough entrepreneurs do this. For this exercise, you literally put yourself in your customer’s shoes and go through each step of the consideration, sales and as much of the installation process as you possibly can without incurring too many expenses. You can also have a trusted friend do this for you and provide you with detailed feedback.
One you have this information, examine every customer touchpoint. Is each step designed to “WOW” the customer? If not, what adjustments can you make?
If you accept that we’re in an Experience Economy and elevate your customer experience to a level that “WOWs” each and every customer, you’ll see dramatic increases in your online reviews, repeat and referral business, and ultimately your sales and profits.
Again, click here to find out how your company can get more referrals for your contracting business, generate more repeat business for your home improvement business, and develop long-lasting customer relationships for profit and wealth.
- FREE 10-Minute Discovery Call with gFour Marketing to find out if we can help you discover hidden profits in your business.
- Discover the 5 Simple Steps to More Profitable Leads by downloading The Referral Success Blueprint
- Brian’s new book, The 7 Secrets To Becoming A Wealthy Contractor, is now available. Visit TheWealthyContractor.com for a free copy (just pay shipping).